Photo Contest 2019
Are you ready to enter this year’s contest? Upload your photos and begin! The rules and guidelines are set out below the photo uploader, but you can also download a copy and read it at your leisure.
Yes, it’s a new system for 2019. Bear with us, be patient with any glitches, and get in touch with Pam if you just can’t get there!
Rules, Prizes, and Photo Requirements
The Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation is pleased to announce the 2019 State Parks and Forests Through the Seasons photo contest.
This year’s contest includes seven categories and three photographs from each category will be awarded a prize as follows:
- PPFF’s blue ribbon panel of experts (chosen solely at PPFF’s discretion) will select a Critics’ Choice in each category prior to the photos being made available for public voting.
- The top vote-getter in public voting will be named People’s Choice in that category.
- Second prize in the category will likewise be chosen by popular vote.
The top vote-getter among all submissions will be named the People’s Choice Best in Show and a Critics’ Choice Best in Show chosen from all submissions will also be selected. Award winners may be included on our website, Facebook page and other electronic and print communications. Award winning photographs will also be showcased in our photo exhibitions to take place in several locations across the Commonwealth.
- Both Best in Show winners (People’s Choice and Critics’ Choice) receive a $75 state park gift card.
- The People’s Choice and Critics’ Choice winners in each category receive a $50 state park gift card.
- The runner-up in each category receives a $25 state park gift card.
- Selfie – You love to commemorate your visits; we love to see them.
- Dogs In the Outdoors – They can’t take a selfie, but you can share one of your furry family members enjoying the outdoors. (Please note: If dogs are required to be on leash in the place where they are photographed, we will scrutinize the photos for appropriate behavior.)
- Other Wildlife Sightings – From birds and bears to snakes and salamanders, we love to see who’s sharing our lands.
- Park and Forest Adventures - Show us how you like to explore, learn, or relax in Pennsylvania’s State Parks and Forests.
- Motion – Capture movement in Pennsylvania’s State Parks and Forests, be it human or natural.
- Intergenerational Moments – A special part of our state parks and forests legacy is the gathering of everone from young to old. Show us your family (however that is constituted) at rest and at play – making millions of memories.
- Young Photographers 12-17 – The creative young photographers dazzle us every year with their artistic eye.)
Please read the guidelines below before entering. All photographs must adhere to these standards.
We have a new mechanism for the contest this year, with all photographs uploaded by the photographers directly to our website. As with anything new, we expect bugs so please bear with us and PLEASE do adhere to the naming, size, and other restrictions.
Upload your photos to http://bit.ly/2019PPFFPhotoContest.
Each file submitted must be in .jpg form and be identified with your name, the category entered, and the state park/forest in which photograph was taken. (For Example: johnsmith.selfie.sinnemahoning.jpg)
The file can be no larger than 2.0 mb. If you are a winner, we will contact you for a higher resolution version of the photo.
The photo must be larger than 350 x 350 px but must be smaller than 1920 x 500 px. A free online photo resizer tool can be found at, for example, http://www.picresize.com.
Minor digital enhancements to crop, filter, and correct are permitted, but images that have been judged to be significantly altered will be disqualified.
All photos must have been taken in a Pennsylvania state park or state forest. Please note: photos not taken in a Pennsylvania state parks or forest will not be accepted.
Photos must be assigned to a category by the contestant and can only be entered into one category. A maximum of six photos per entrant can be submitted. Note: Only one prize will be awarded per person. Should a photographer receive the most votes in more than one category, PPFF reserves the right to select from which category the prize will be awarded.
When submitting photos, please include your name, address, and email address in the form presented. Also, if a person is visible in the picture provide their name and contact information in the blank provided. We will review all photos and if this information is not provided, we may opt not to accept the photo.
A space is given for a photo “Title.” You may title the photo in any way you wish so long as it does not reveal your identity. Please also complete the space to identify the state park or forest where your photo was taken. We receive many requests to know the location of the photos and this is a field we can display without giving away your name in our anonymous voting process.
Photographs that do not depict behavior in accordance with Leave No Trace principles will not be accepted.
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Minimize campfire impacts (be careful with fire).
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.
You do not have to be a member of the Foundation to enter the contest. Our contest is open to anyone.
Photos must be submitted by the photographer. (No third party submissions.)
Submitted photos should be original and previously unpublished in a commercial endeavor.
By submitting photos, entrants agree to allow PPFF to post the photo/s to the PPFF website and Facebook page or any other electronic and printed media and allow their photos, names, and general location to be published in the newsletter and/or website or any other electronic or printed media, currently and in the future. Entrants retain ownership and all other rights to future use of their photographs. Photographers are always given credit for their photographs in PPFF publications and posts and links to the original source provided whenever possible.
Winners will be published in the PPFF newsletter printed in Spring 2020.
All photographs will be displayed anonymously. Voting will take place on the website with a "like" to the photo. Each person may only vote for a photograph one time but you may vote for as many photos as you wish.
- Photos will be accepted through midnight on 9/4.
- Voting begins at noon on Wednesday, 9/11.
- Voting concludes at noon on Monday, 9/16.
- Winners will be announced as soon as practicable following the close of voting.