Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation
POSITION: Bookkeeper for Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation (PPFF) www.PaParksAndForests.org
REPORTS TO: President
Mission: PPFF’s mission is to inspire stewardship of Pennsylvania’s state parks and forests through public engagement in volunteerism, education and recreation.
Vision: Building the voice for Pennsylvania’s state parks and forests.
Operating Values: * Integrity * Conservation *Excellence *Diversity *Innovation *Inclusion
Bookkeeper Job Purpose: Our small but growing non-profit needs a reliable, organized Bookkeeper to support the work of stewarding our state parks and forests. This position performs and records business transactions in QuickBooks, balances ledgers, reconciles accounts, prepares quarterly financial statements for the board of directors, and prepares other reports as needed. Familiar with accepted bookkeeping concepts, practices, and procedures and follows bookkeeping procedures established by the organization. This position manages the Foundation’s financial activities, tracks time, and grant finances. Works closely with and assists chapter volunteers in following financial protocol of the Foundation. Coordinates annual audit with CPA.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Track donations to the foundation, chapter and park/forest accounts. Update individual account sheets in Excel for income and expenses that applies to chapter and park/forest accounts; sends e-copies of Excel statements of account to account holders.
- Record invoices and journal entries in the general ledger, which includes coding for the proper GL accounts, insuring approval requirements have been met, maintaining required financial paperwork for grants. Maintain the GL. Prepare 1099s annually. Procure W-9’s when necessary.
- Prepare outgoing checks on a weekly basis. Record transactions and enter check transactions onto account statements.
- Record payroll, employer taxes and reports biweekly. The PPFF payroll is processed by a payroll firm. Payroll information for each employee and for seasonal chapter staff must be entered into the general ledger. Record staff hours on Excel worksheet used for grant expense tracking. File and pay quarterly LST tax. Annually confirm accuracy of LST rates.
- Sales tax—E-file monthly sales tax returns with payments.
- Record online donation and sales activity.
- Work with chapters to ensure compliance with PPFF Small Games of Chance Policy and PA Department of Revenue requirements.
- Make bank deposits and reconcile bank statements
- Reconcile chapters’ imprest bank account statements.
- General accounting Maintain appropriate general ledger bookkeeping.
- Grants Track and report grant expenses and provide quarterly reports to President.
- Special projects—track finances of special projects
- Audit Prepare for the annual audit and record any resulting entries.
- End of Year Projects Determine fees for checks and deposits and record resulting entries annually to chapter and park accounts. Work with chapters to ensure that their annual financial data has been submitted and recorded for the calendar year.
- Reconcile the Quickbooks GL to the Individual Accounts in Excel.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports for presentation to Board of Directors and attend board of directors meetings.
- Miscellaneous—assist around office when needed such as with special events, answering phone, etc.
- Monitor changes in non-profit policies and banking policies that impact PPFF and our friends groups. Communicate said policies to appropriate entities.
- Participate in chapter trainings, retreats, quarterly calls, etc.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of five years’ bookkeeping or accounting experience and associated ability to think creatively, generate new ideas, develop strategies and follow through.
- Ability to meet deadlines on multiple simultaneous projects and to manage budgets for grants.
- Interest in working with volunteers.
- Superb written & verbal skills; able to work successfully in team environment and in small office setting. Strong organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Commitment to the mission of the Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation
- Excel and QuickBooks proficient.
- Ability to withstand long periods of sitting, extensive computer work; lifting up to 25 lbs.
- BA or BS in accounting or related field or equivalent work experience; Associates degree in bookkeeping and/or related experience also considered.
POSITION IS SUBJECT TO BACKGROUND CHECK AND CREDIT CHECK.
Position based in Camp Hill, PA
Financial: Rate of $19.00 – $21.00/hr; 28-32 hours per week
Benefits: Flex time, Simple IRA with employer match after one year employment, vacation after one year employment (part time)
Deadline for Resumes: January 17, 2020
Send resume and cover letter to Marci Mowery, Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation, 704 Lisburn Road, Suite 102, Camp Hill, PA 17011 or email at [email protected].