PPFF is assisting DCNR in the hiring of two part-time temporary interns for Jacobsburg and Nolde Forest Environmental Education Centers. If you are – or know – a college student with a passion for the outdoors and a fluency in English and Spanish, this could be a wonderful opportunity!
POSITION: Education and Outreach Intern for Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation (PPFF)
REPORTS TO: PPFF Public Engagement Coordinator, DCNR Regional Office
Mission: PPFF’s mission is to inspire stewardship of Pennsylvania’s state parks and forests.
Vision: To be the trusted voice and advocate to sustain and enhance Pennsylvania’s state parks and forests.
Operating Values: * Integrity * Conservation * Excellence * Diversity * Innovation * Inclusion
Education and Outreach Intern: The Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation is the non-profit partner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. This position will be located in Park Region Four, Eastern Pennsylvania, at either Nolde Forest Environmental Education Center and/or Jacobsburg Environmental Education Center.
If you love to build relationships, share your enthusiasm for an important cause, and enjoy our state parks and forests, the position of Education and Outreach Intern may be right for you. The persons in this position will be responsible for communicating to the public the “Leave No Trace” principles of outdoor recreation, engaging visitors in informative programs related to conservation and the natural world, and must be willing to travel to parks and forests located in eastern Pennsylvania.
Enthusiasm, high energy, commitment to diversity, and creativity a must!
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The position is designed for the intern to gain experiences in developing and administering environmental education programs. The intern will learn how to:
- Understand and communicate Leave No Trace principles
- How to engage audiences in pop-up learning experiences
- How to develop and implement recreational and environmental programs
- How do develop lesson plans
- How to write articles for newsletters and press releases announcing programs
- General park and non-profit operations
- To organize volunteer events and stewardship projects
- Communicate with broad ranges of audiences
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Current enrollment or recent graduate in a FULL-TIME bachelor’s or advanced degree program at an accredited college or university in the following majors:
- Recreation and Tourism
- Environmental Resource Management
- Environmental Science or Studies
- Marketing and Communications
- Must have completed college sophomore year worth of credits
- Must be in good academic standing of 2.5 GPA or higher (based on 4.0 scale)
- Must have a valid current driver’s license.
- Must have a vehicle for transportation, as travel will be required.
- Must be bilingual with special emphasis in speaking and writing in Spanish.
Location—Based at Jacobsburg Environmental Education Center and Nolde Forest Environmental Education Center
Work Schedule: Must be available to work Thursday through Monday, May 20th through August 12th. (13 weeks), 25 hours per week
Financial: Hourly Rate: $12 per hour
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to:
704 Lisburn Road, Suite 102
Camp Hill, PA 17011
You may also email [email protected]
Deadline to Apply: May 10, 2021
The selected employee must pass a criminal background and child abuse clearance check prior to starting employment.
The Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation (PPFF) is committed to equal employment opportunities for both applicants and employees. This means that PPFF will take steps to ensure that both applicants and employees are treated without regard to their race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender or marital status. This applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, transfer, benefits, compensation, training and separation.